Wednesday, February 17, 2010

From Gravity into Freedom

Sometimes a song just gets me, like the one you should be hearing now. (i took it off my page, but it's Gravity by Sara Bareilles). I love it when that happens! I understand that some of you may think this is cheesy, but let's get one thing straight...God will use whatever works. I have been listening to this song for weeks. I love her voice and her lyrics, but for some reason I have been drawn to this particular song. Now, I don't usually change the intended meaning of a song to fit my own life, OK...maybe I do. But, I'm sure the writer would be OK with that, right? It's art, left to the interpreter for it's meaning of how it moves someone, changes someone, releases the feelings needing to be released, right? Well this song developed into a conversation with my sin. Now, don't freak out, I don't usually converse with my sin and my weaknesses, but this song motivated me to speak to that which separates me from moving forward and on to freedom. I understand she is speaking of a relationship that is bringing her down, a relationship that she uses as comfort, for her own pleasures. One that she chooses to hold on to, hide behind, be comfortable in...sorta like that thing, that thing that we can't shake, that sin that comes back over and over again. You know, the one thing that you can't believe you let have it's way AGAIN, the thing that causes you to fall AGAIN, believe the lie AGAIN!!! UGH! For some of you it may be unforgiveness, doubt, the inability to surrender, to trust. For others it may be the need to control something you must let go of, a lack of self control, needing the approval of someone, lust of any kind, money, pride, insecurity, fear, being easily offended, gossip, the desire to marry, the desire to not be married, hate, or jealousy... just...THAT THING!! You know, the one we sorta like, but hate all at the same time. We want what we know, what we are used to. We want the good feeling it brings our flesh; not the rain it brings...and it will bring rain, always. It's that choice we make, and keep going back to, that reminds us that we are weak and unable to stand tall. It is , in fact, that sin that we need to speak to and say, "SET ME FREE, LEAVE ME BE, I DON'T WANT TO FALL ANOTHER MOMENT INTO YOUR GRAVITY." I don't think we should focus on our sin, but being aware of that which keeps us down, which has power over our freedom, is good. It's good because when it rears it's ugly head, it rears it's ugly head in a soul that knows it's power over my weak flesh. I'm no longer blind to it's plan, its desired outcome. Light sheds death on that which holds me back. Knowing, puts me that that much closer to the freedom that awaits, moves me closer to the freedom that awaits others, through me. Call me crazy, but in this sad, lost, empty love song, I found a way to say enough and no more. Try it!

Gravity
Something always brings me back to you, It never takes too long
No matter what I say or do, I still feel you here till the moment I'm gone
You hold me without touch, you keep me without chains
I never wanted anything so much then to drown in your love and not feel your rain
Set me free, leave me be, I don't wanna fall another moment into your gravity
Here I am and I stand so tall I'm just the way I'm supposed to be
But you're on to me and all over me
You loved me cause I'm fragile when I thought that I was strong
But you touched me for a little while and all my fragile strength is gone
Set me free...
I live here on my knees as I try to make you see
That your everything I think I need here on the ground
But your neither friend nor foe though I can't seem to let you go
The one thing that I still know is that you're keeping me down
You're keeping me down
You're on to me, on to me and all over
Something always brings me back to you
It never takes too long
~In order that satan might not outwit us, for we are not unaware of his schemes.
2 Cor 2:11
~Sin is crouching at your door, it desires to have you, but you must master it.
Genesis 4:7
~For sin shall not be your master, for you are not under law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14
~For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.
Romans 8:13
~In all things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
Romans 8:37
~Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.
1 John 4:4

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, Sundy. Thank you!

    I think my sin is fear/control...because despite how much I try, I cannot control ANYTHING. I could relate to what Kris Wood shared on Sunday and how she had to grow up and become the Mother figure in her family, and so she took care of everything, which put a lot of responsibility on her. SHE had to take care of things. And so many times now in my life...I just get frustrated and impatient and fearful, because I cannot see what is going to happen, and I am programmed to operate that way after my life experiences. So I try to take it in my own hands, which always end up in a mess. But if I can just keep throwing it off, instead of falling for it AGAIN, let Him reprogram me...He can have His way, and move on my behalf. Anyway, not to write so much...just this was good for me.

    I don't want to be afraid of the rain...because after the rain..always comes the sun, to bring forth growth and new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm no longer blind to it's plan, its desired outcome. Light sheds death on that which holds me back."

    ~~ So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chrissy, I so understand that! That is me too. Thank you for sharing your heart. Being aware and confession is so the road to freedom, and I am right there with you! love ya.

    ReplyDelete