Tuesday, February 2, 2010

DON'T JUST VISIT GRATITUDE, LIVE THERE!

Why is being thankful so hard? Why do we all have a chip on our shoulder and think that everyone owes us something? Why? I mean, think about it. Very often, all of us, at some time or another think we should be treated a certain way, respected to the point we think is acceptable, and given the utmost courtesy and respect. The fact is: we live in a fallen world with messed up, unhappy, very much hurting people....and to some degree, I am one of them. My rudeness, selfishness, and pride doesn't look like others, so I like to think I can judge those who I perceive to look worse. I think it's sad when Christians use their "judgment" to do nothing more than judge those around them, when really, it's just because their sin is different. If you have "mastered" a weak area in your life, if you have "conquered" a burden that has been victorious in your struggle to stay pure ..I want to challenge you in something today. Instead of becoming more religious and judgmental, try to become thankful. Ask our most wonderful Father to give you a heart of gratitude, so that when others are operating out of their hurt, sin, and pride, we don't take it personal, judge, and treat them different. We live in a world where waiters take to long, the grocery store lady is rude, the bill collectors have no heart, our friends can be two-faced, and our own family members feel like our enemies. That's life. What we need is a little more thankfulness. We need people who can smile back in the face of rudeness, give a gentle answer to turn away wrath, and people who are willing to ,out of the blue, thank those who have helped get them to where they are. If you want to make a difference, try being a bit thankful for even the smallest act of kindness done for you, and stop complaining when you're not the only person on the mind of a complete stranger that day. They could have just lost a loved one, got news of cancer, or even worse wants to end their own life. I'm not making excuses for rude people, but I'm done with making excuses for believers. When we have a heart of gratitude, we are humble, and we tend to be a bit more gracious in the way we respond to the crappy attitudes of others. Knowing that I too have been saved by grace, and that pride is always lurking around the corner to expose my evil heart is a good thing. Keeping that truth in mind can keep me from retaliating, lashing out, talking evil of others, and thinking I am better than others...aka pride! I WANT TO BE MORE THANKFUL! Jesus healed ten men of leprosy, and only one came back to thank Him...only one! One of the saddest scriptures is: "Were not all ten cleansed, where are the other nine?" then He said, ...rise and go, your faith has made you well. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since members of one body you were called to peace...and be thankful! And be thankful. And be thankful. (....ok, I repeated that, not Him)! I believe there are defining moments in our lives. A defining moment in your life can be when you are nice and don't want to be. When we can live and dwell in the thoughts of gratitude, and not just visit them every now and then. Thank you for reading my "preaching moment." It's crazy how even while writing this, I am aware of my need for this word, probably even more than you!

6 comments:

  1. Very good Sundy...We have a LOT to be thankful for....All we have to do is wake up and look around ourselves....Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....that was so good. Really good. I want to live this every day. Thanks girl. We all need to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome word, Sundy! Loved this bit: "I'm not making excuses for rude people, but I'm done with making excuses for believers." We have so much to be thankful for...and God has even more for us, woo! Thanks for sharing, sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thank you for sharing this. I so often need reminded that I am not "owed" anything from anybody, and that I am responsible for my own actions and reactions. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I can relate!

    ReplyDelete