Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fading Flower

I wrote this blog on facebook a while back. After dealing with several deaths at work, I am reminded of relationships and the price we must be willing to pay for them. This is a journey for me but I am willing to start.

Just today I heard of three four-wheeler accidents that ended in the death of three teenagers, and a friend who lost an uncle. When things like this happen we are all reminded that life really is all about the relationships we form, the people God has so wonderfully privileged us to walk life with. We are not made to be alone. Even God the Father of all didn't want us to be alone. So He, in His all perfect and all powerful love, created us, created relationship. Because of His desire for companionship and connection we don't have to walk this life without each other. We don't have to settle for loneliness, emptiness, and fear. We have, for a richer life, companionship, laughter, togetherness, friendship, iron sharpening iron, heart to heart conversations, meaningful embraces. You know, those embraces that can break the dam of tears help up. When patients loved ones pass in the ER I am reminded that the little upsets in life are never worth the cost of a relationship. The wrestling through forgiveness, emotions, hurt feelings, miscommunication, opposing opinions, stubbornness, and selfishness is worth our fighting for our relationships. Waiting until death or sickness comes is too late to realize that. When I heard this father crying over his 14 year old son saying, "You can't go yet, it's not time, it's too soon, we're not done," it hit me more than ever that it's all about relationships. From the depths of this fathers heart, in agony, he was crying. He was crying from his gut because of a relationship and because of the loss of more relationship. The death of a relationship is the greatest loss of all. Our wonderful Father agrees, so He paid the ultimate price for it. I plead to my own mind and soul. I plead to you. If there is anyone in your life that you have avoided a conversation with, are angry with, have had harsh words with, or hold unforgiveness towards; take care of it today. Life ends so soon. Seeing families say goodbye, hearing the regrets in their voices and in the words they say has become this reminder: We really are like a fading flower. Pride is a powerful, destructive force that deceives us all into thinking we each have tomorrow. Pride says that it's not time to do or say the hard things. Pride tells us our feelings are deserving and just, or that it's just meant to be this way. Pride will never remind you that we are not promised tomorrow. Pride will never tell you about the joys of fulfilled relationships, or the hope restored as the ear of the mistake is made new by the voice of the wounded as it says, "I forgive you." So, if tomorrow finds us opening our eyes to the sunshine again, may we greet it with a desire for deep relationships. For more in the relationships we have. For goodness spoken, as cheesy as our human minds say it sounds. May it find wrongs made right. For the unsaid dared to be uttered by the brave, by the ones who are willing to risk and lose the pride we hold and secure so tight in our mind, in our heart. Life cannot be walked out in it's fullest measure with unforgiveness, anger, and pride. It just can't, and it won't. Funny how because we don't know what we are missing, we are just ok to let it be. We become so satisfied with the way things are. May I never be the one that is looking over the loved one lost with regrets and things unsaid. I want to live. Live strong in relationships. I don't have to be best friends with everyone, I don't have to agree with everyone, I don't have to share my heart with all. But, one thing is for certain and that is this: I don't have to allow pride to determine the outcome of my fulfilment in relationships, in a gift given by God to me. I don't have to let pride steal away the freedom felt in saying goodbye with things all said and love communicated. Like that father said while holding his 14 year old son, "we're not done, it's too soon." He was crying the loss of relationship. Today, relationships are worth the work. Today, relationships are worth the pain. Today, relationships are worth the loss of pride. Today, relationships are worth the joys. Today, celebrate your relationships. Tomorrow, it's a day that may never come. Tomorrow, it's the day that may be too late. Tomorrow may be the day of the fading flower.
.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sundy, I am wondering why no one is on their blogs anymore. I say you were on it this year and just wanted to say Hi. I am missing Shanen, sean, and faith so much. Talk to ya later.
    Love Jessica
    Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, this is so good and speaks straight to the heart....Thanks for always sharing your heart here.

    ReplyDelete