Tuesday, January 12, 2010

18 years...It's the daily days that get us through the years!


18 years! I have been married 18 years! I feel like it has been forever and just yesterday all at the same time. When I think back on all the reasons I fell in love with Mike, they are the same reasons I have stayed in love with Mike. But, through the years I have gathered new reasons! It's not reasons you would think, but things that keep a relationship strong, like:

I love how he gets in tickle fights with the kids.

I love that he knows what I'm thinking by looking at my face.

I like that if i say something mean, he actually gets his feelings hurt.

I love that he puts socks on my cold feet at night.

I love that tucking me in at night is still very important for him.
I love that his favorite place to be is home.

I love that he thinks about me when we are apart.

I love that he records shows that he knows I will like.

I love that he watches chick flicks with me.

He remembers when I say I like something.

The kids and I hear "i love you" from him, often.
He knows my tickle spots.

We watch shows together, and we watch shows apart...(two TVs)

He knows how I like my coffee.

He cuddles the kids and they seek his affection.

I love that we both laughed when that old lady fell...(she was fine people!)

He makes me laugh at things that are so not funny.

I love that he watches annoying kid shows with the kids...and knows the songs!

I love that he is a pastor who waits tables and delivers pizza.

He puts up with my temperature changes.

He says good things about me when I'm not there.

He forgives easy.

He tries to hide feeding the kids cereal for dinner.

He knows when I'm crying during a movie.

He does the laundry.

He wants to be with me.

He dances silly dances for me only.

He will change his shirt when i say, "NO!"

It's important for him to surprise me.

We talk, and laugh, and it's not always about the kids.

These are the things that have gotten us through 18 years, and these things will move us forward. Yes, we have been through hard times. Yes, we have hard times yet to come. One thing I know is that it's the little things that bring joy, laughter, and strength to our daily days....and it's the daily days that get us through the years! I love you Michael Simmons and I am ready for the next 18!

3 comments:

  1. Sundy, I about cried. I love all the little things. Congratulations on 18 years! I hope our marriage is as strong and special as yours when we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Congrats! Little things really so important! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My wife is the best! I have sooooooo many faults, and yet she makes me sound like a saint. I love you, Sundy - you are my world!

    ReplyDelete